Marialis – Day 1

I got quite a bit done on the Marialis scarf (Ravelry link to pattern) last night. I wasn’t so sure about the way the colors were looking after the first 14 rows, but I kept going, trusting that I’ll like it better when it’s further along.

I had a couple of times I had to go back and fix stitches… I forgot to do the 6 border stitches on each sides of the first two purl across rows. Luckily, I remembered to just drop the stitches and fix them. Thanks Kelly Petkun!

Marialis - Day 1

Marialis – Day 1

 

Starting my “Year of Wonders” projects…

Yarn for Marialis - Rayon Chenille in Martini Colorway

martini-chenille-top

First project, the “Marialis End-to-End Scarf”. I’m using this soft Rayon Chenille from Yarntopia Treasures…

Planning to cast on tonight once I get the lil monsters in bed. Hoping to get a bit done tonight around laundry.

Jesse’s Armor – Part 2

Jesse's Armor - Part 2

Jesse’s Armor – Part 2

Finally got some progress on this. I tried knitting it using 2 circs instead of the DPNs. I wanted to re-do the first one so I could test knitting 2 at once while I did the second once.

After frogging it about 10 times, I finally switched over to trying magic loop two at once and voila! progress… If I knit a bunch tonight, I might actually get them done in time for January’s A Loose Knit Group deadline.

Down on the farm after Christmas

Papa's Work Shed
Papa’s Work Shed

We spent some of the week after Christmas in Alapaha, GA on the farm. The kids were really, really glad to see Granny and Papa and really enjoyed being outside.

Daddy and the kids

Nerf dart tag with Daddy

Jesse also finally learned to ride a bike without training wheels, so he and Bailey did a LOT of bike riding while we were there.

Bailey finally got her purple, polka-dotted cow she’d been wanting.

Purple Polka Dotted Cow!

Purple Polka Dotted Cow!

I took some knitting, but gave up when the hat I started was way, way too small and the needle snapped when I was working on the head of Bailey’s Furry Monster.

So, I played with my new digital camera. The old one would either take blurry pix or dark pix. The macro setting was really fun!

Testing macro mode of new camera

Testing macro mode of new camera

Testing macro mode of new camera

Gathering eggs from Granny and Papa's new chickens

Gathering eggs from Granny and Papa's new chickens

Testing macro mode of new camera

Jesse even got to gather eggs from their new chickens

Good knitting stash night!!!

I took the kids by the Kirkwood Knittery‘s 1st anniversary sale on the way home and picked up some goodies….

1 skein of Nashua Handknits Sitar in Olive Tree.
sitar-2

1 skein of Malabrigo Yarn Chunky to make an “Unoriginal Hat” for myself.
malabrigo-chunky

2 skeins of Sisu Fantasy.
sisu

Some new circular needles
new-needles

And for my grab bag…. Silk Merino!
silk-merino-2

silk-merino

And when I got home, I had a big batch of DPNS from eBay in the mail too. 🙂

Jesse’s armor

Jesse's armor
Jesse’s armor

Originally uploaded by Shel Kennon

Voodoo Gloved from www.knitty.com that I was knitting for myself have become Jesse’s armor gloves. He had to pose for photos with Pikachu. He also loves the thumb hole.

I knitted too tightly, as usual, but that’s OK because this was really a test project and he loves this yarn… I didn’t like it on me. I think I want to do a cabled wrist-warmer for me. I think I’ll try the two circular needle/knitting two rounds things at once method that’s in the Knitting Two Socks on Circular Needles book to make mine.

Finally finished the Wiggly Poncho for Bailey!

Wiggly poncho on Bailey

Wiggly poncho on Bailey

This felt like it took FOREVER to do… I carried it around with me since August. Working on it in odd moments, before movies, waiting for files to upload on a really, really late night at work, even off and on during moments when I was really sick the last several days. I think I crocheted about 20 minutes during the 3 days I spent in bed. I had to frog most of the original purple stripe on Halloween night because I needed to increase on that row. Bailey’s happy with it and I’m really happy that it’s done!

Making progess…

Monster body
Monster body

I think I’ve got the hang of knitting in the round down now. I got the monster body done. Now, I’ve just got to knit up the appendages and horns for the head.

One issue I had is that my cat thinks the size 6 bamboo dpns are yummy. I tried using just 4 needles instead of 5, but that didn’t work. The chewed-up ends were pulling the yarn, so I had to switch to my shorter ones. They worked better.